Customer looking for rust removal

Hello everyone,

Did a house wash and they have some rust stains on the vinyl that they would like cleaned now. This will be a first for me and not really sure how typical pricing works for spot cleaning. Ive already ordered the F9 barc and awaiting it to arrive but really cant fine how to estimate spot removals on the house.

Heres a few pics on the rust

I had a house the other day that had rust coming down from under the chimney cap I used oxalic acid to remove it a lot cheaper than F9 I save that for rust stains on concrete plus the lady tipped me 50.00 because she didn’t think the rust would come off

Exactly, oxalic is a lot cheaper.

1 Like

What I’m gathering is if there is rust in the area your cleaning already you throw it in with the agreed upon price and its not really an up-sell?

Ill look into Oxalic Acid and where to purchase it at.

I didn’t know oxalic would do that. What mix ratio do you use?

No I would charge for it but my customer has a lot of rental property I wash so I didn’t charge extra for the rust on hers just keeping my brownie points and I mix 8 ounces to a gallon of water in a pump sprayer just keep it wet until the rust is gone then wash and it mixes better with warm water

3 Likes

I get my oxalic from Amazon.

I recently ordered some oxalic from Amazon, based on MrFixit’s post in another thread. Looking forward to using it on wood and rust.

Here is a link to the stuff i ordered:

Totally charge extra, I even offer monthly service for that. It’s mainly from sprinklers/well water. Now pricing I’d say about 100$/hr. Usually can get done in a half hour. Just time yourself

How do you charge by the hour for rust? Chem cost can go up/down too much if its a large rust area or battery acid.

I charge by the job and usually only takes me 5-10 minutes to get rust up from vertical surfaces (brick, hardi, stucco, ect). I use F9 and may use $5-20 dollars in chem but make $120+ for 5 min of work.

OX and F9 both have their use’s, and they really don’t cost that much in terms of ROI.

That’s the same thing I mentioned, except your​ rates are higher, time = money. You determine the amount based on expenses, time and desired ROI.

Basically he has to do it himself until he knows how long a job will take him, he’ll know how much it should cost him so next time he can charge by the job.

Also consider drive time and caring for your customers, work we them, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered”.