Commercial Wash Question

I just got offered my first commercial job. I’ve had strictly residential for the past few months. They said I would need a tank for this job as some of the sites don’t have access to a spigot. I don’t yet have a trailer or a tank but I know I can get both fairly easily. My question is this (and it sounds pretty stupid to me but bear with me, I am a noob): If I buy a tank (100 - 150 gallon), how would I go about hooking it up to feed my machine? Are there certain types that come with some sort of spigot that I can connect a garden hose to? Do I have to drill a hole and rig my own feeding system? I have a direct drive machine, will I need a pump to force the water from the tank to the machine (4200psi 4gpm)?

Thanks in advance.

100 to 150 gallons doesn’t usually go to far with a 5 - 8 gpm unit. I run my 275 gal down pretty fast. there are several videos on Youtube that can explain the process of hooking up a water tank. It would be easier explained watching those videos than trying to explain it in words.

Maybe not a good time to go chasing commercial. Wait until you have a grasp on washing and how to do it. You’ll appreciate it in the long run

Thank you sir, any links to some videos that come to mind?

Yeah your direct drive machine will not pull water feom a tank. You’ll have to figure out how to pump it to it…

Technically true: it won’t pull from a tank. But a good, open gravity feed will work for most direct drive machines.

Setting up a pump between the tank and machine seems like a bad idea. What if it dies? Then your pressure pump implodes.

And +1 on what @Innocentbystander said. Don’t chase commercial until you get your bearings.

And 150 gallons will be nearly useless without a water source, unless you’re cleaning a shed…

1 Like

I must confer with the consensus here, lol. I wouldn’t take any commercial work at the stage you’re at. It may harm your image more than help it. 150 gallon tank will get you about 35 minutes of washing. Can’t accomplish much in that time. You need a good 275 tote at minimum for that stuff. I keep bouncing around the idea of chasing commercial but I know I’m not at that point yet either. Wait till your properly equipped to handle it.

When we have to haul water we put 4 of those square tanks with an aluminum frame on a separate trailer, hire a driver and use our air pump to transfer water to our 350 gallon tank on our trailer. It takes longer and we usually charge a 50% upcharge. Another thing you can do is check with the neighbors and see if you can pay them and run water hoses to your trailer. You can buy 300’=400’ of water hose cheaper than hauling water.