Clean up roof cleaning

for those of you who do a lot of roof cleaning, how often are you burning up plants and bushes like this? Is it fairly avoidable with the proper preventative actions?

No I don’t leave the buckets they are always taken with us after the job. The collected chemical is disposed of or used in an safe manner.

It should be very rare to never and yes very avoidable.

disposed of… ok, great. How? Dump it out in the streets… down the toilet? Drink the stuff as a fine wine? :stuck_out_tongue:

Dispose of according to your regulations. Sometimes if I am cleaning a driveway I will use it for that, other times I put lids on the buckets and bring home to use as weed killer along my fence lines, etc etc.

Here at Apple Roof Cleaning, the ground man is the BOSS. The roof man can’t see the run off, so it is up to our Ground Men to stop the roof man, if need be, until he can catch up to all the run off.
This is especially true on tile roofs w/o gutters.

1 Like

It is going to happen sometimes, but not very often.
So, sell you jobs like this “Mr Customer, I can clean your shingle roof with pressure, and not effect any plants, but it will ruin your roof, OR I can clean it w/o pressure the safe way, using Chemicals. That is a plant growing on your roof I must kill and remove, and I will do everything possible to protect your plants, however, if you can’t tolerate a yellow spot on a plant here and there, let’s just pressure clean it”

LOL, they will pick the chemical cleaning every time, and this protects you for the inevitable, when and if it happens.

We never rinse our roof cleaning equipment, ever.
Our roof cleaning pumps are made from Hastelloy or Kynar, and use Teflon inside.
Our hose is chemical proof, as are our ball valves and nozzles.
However, we do not use Hose reels.
If you are using a hose reel, it MUST be rinsed out quickly, after every job.
The manifolds of hose reels are made out of stainless steel.
Stainless Steel is NOT Chlorine Proof, especially when it is welded!
The Chlorine will attack the weld, it will leak and/or break quickly, if not rinsed out as SOON as you spray a roof.

1 Like

Thanks Chris all good points

1 Like

Yeah very good points. What type of pump do you use? I am using the fatboy… is this chlorine safe to leave in this and not rinse this pump? I Just purchased a hose reel, never thought about the reel being eaten by the chlorine. I might rig it to just use the reel for quick clean up and storage, and bypass the flow outside of the reel.

When I bought my Fatboy I was told to rinse it. I run 10 gals of water through it at the end of day. Even doing this it still developed a leak in the reel swivel. But the pump runs like the day I bought it.

1 Like

How many jobs do you think it was before your reel developed a leak ?

Really have no idea. $12.00 repair kit took care of it

We use our own tried and tested low - medium pressure washer roof cleaning method that guarantee to get rid of unwanted moss and algae with the save and reliable way, and one we have done that then we get to work on keeping it away for years to come.

what is that method?

Is it ARMA approved?

what happens to blacktop if the solution is allowed to dry on it? How do you get it off?

I generally prefer Pressure washing. As pressure washing is one of the most reasonably priced and simplest ways to increase your home’s value and a good way to prevent time, cost and difficulty of future repairs.

Jacksonville flood cleanup service

Does anyone put gypsum in the gutters before you leave the property? Or in the downspouts?

www.UltimateRoofCleaning.com

We do roof cleaning. Burning plants shouldn’t be common. Just in case we have a plant buy-back guarantee. If it doesn’t come back in 90 days we will replace it. (never have had it happen)

AC Lockyers idea.

The price reflects the risk, the knowledge, and the workers. It’s the only way to stay in business.

Best of luck!

1 Like