Cedar recommendations

Tired of leaving money on the table with all these cedar jobs. Jumping in head first…

What would your recommendations be this?

They only want a clean up right now.

Pre-carbonate only with low pressure rinse? (F-10)

Stripper? (F-18)

thoughts?

Thanks.
Kevin

FYI - *PERCARBONATE, or “percarb” or “oxyclean”… not pre - carbonate.

Me personally we use sodium hydroxide - sold by powerwash.com as DSR 50…
then neutralize with oxalic acid - sold by pressure tek as f-8.

good luck!

I love doing cedar siding it almost always turns out good!

Kevin,

Hey, a Jersey wood contractor!

Is there any evidence of prior old stain? Just below the soffit would tell the tale. And/or if you or the homeowner are planning on staining shortly… If so to either scenario, percarb + surfactant at say 6 oz./gal., fairly low pressure wash, and then a light acid, say 4 oz./gal. of oxalic or 6 oz./gal. of citric.

Otherwise, a bleach bath at no more than 2% sodium hypochlorite with a bit of soap and surfactant, followed by careful P’washing. Older cedar firs easily.

Sodium hydroxide is overkill and talk about firring!

Not sure what you mean by “leaving money on the table” with cedar. If you would care to explain, or call me.

I meant giving the jobs away and not doing them myself. For the last few years cedar restoration was not on my service list and I was giving the jobs to other contractors. I’m ready and equipt to start adding the service now.

Did you ever find out the answer to this? I am in the same situation now. I’m tired of passing up the Cedar jobs. I had a customer call me with a huge 2 story cedar house and I don’t wanna have to rent a man lift or anything so I’m trying to find out if I can just use my soft wash nozzles and downstream from the ground.

Not really, and I still haven’t found enough info to feel truly comfortable taking in a cedar job. (TGS is a very good place to get cedarvinfo though)