Buying choices for just starting out

Hello All,
My first post, starting a new full time pressure washing business, and I have a million questions, the first of which is…
Which one should I buy…? Residential work to start.
A brand new Northstar hot/cold trailer for just over $8K
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200317423_200317423

or this used 5000psi 5gpm trailer for $3200 cash?

Anxiously awaiting your replies since I will need to pull the trigger on this tomorrow.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Louis

What motor and pump are on the second trailer?

The motor is a Honda GX620 and the pump is a General.

See post above. Northern Tool’s customer service is a joke. Paid $400 for the warranty for the service tech to tell me to modify it and add lock washers. Then waited 8 days for the torque specs. Paid $400 for the warranty, $2000 in total to repair the thing myself. Might just be my experience, but avoid Northern Tool at all cost. They’re a higher priced Harbor Freight.

Oh and after the guy told me to go get lock washers from ACE hardware, I essentially modified it and likely voided the strict warranty.

Well, you have just described how the warranty was no good, anyway.

So, apparently, you voided nothing.

1 Like

Fantastic point.

Take the trailer and have a guy put a gage on the end with a 4gpm nozzle. if it hits the correct pressure and runs the correct GPM Then go with the SECOND one. The extra five grand will come in handy…

And at least with the used trailer you can modify it to include storage, ladder racks, etc. Not so easy with the Northern PW trailers.

So I was never able to get the guy selling the used trailer to get back up with me so thanks to the advice here I decided against the Northern Tool rig and instead continued to search. I found this setup for 3200 that I am gonna go pick up this weekend.

So…now I need advice on setting this thing up properly with a buffer tank and anything else I might need.
Thoughts?..Advice?..
Thanks again for all your help

If it were me… Start by reselling that pressure washer once you own it. Chances are you’ll need hot water less than 2-3x each month especially if you start with residential. I’ve been doing this for 2 years and even on my commercial jobs I use hot water less than 4x every month. I just rent a hot water unit.

Take the $1000 or so you make from reselling that thing, spend another $500 and buy a good 4gpm or higher belt drive machine. If not you won’t be able to run a buffer tank from inside that trailer. Won’t be able to elevate it high enough unless you take everything (PW) off the frame, find space for the hot box and diesel tank, etc.

When you have a belt drive unit I’ll link you 3-4 pages with plumbing help for a buffer tank.

Others may chime in and tell me I’m wrong. I hope so. We can both learn something.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to mount a small buffer tank over the wheels and use the front for tool storage since i may also be offering some minor handyman services. Does the buffer tank need to be mounted higher than the pump?

With a direct drive, yes.

Solid deal if that enclosed trailer is in good shape. I agree sell that direct drive hot water unit and buy the pressure pro 5.5gpm @ 2500 for $1500. Match your surface cleaner tips up to it. Etc etc