Buying a website domain

I’ve never set up a website before, and am just starting the process. I see Ambidextrous Services recommended a lot, and i will be getting in touch with them, as well as a few others.

My question is about buying the domain name… does it matter who i purchase the domain through? Like can i just go to godaddy and buy it right now, and have no problems using it whenever i get someone to build it? Is there a difference between hosting companies?

Thanks for any input.

I few years ago I gave a guy $50 to make me up this web site.
http://dmcconcreteclean.com/

problem is it dont say pressure washing on it. If you google it i don’t come up.
Don’t know what to do to get it to come up on Google

now I have a Facebook page David McGough with a link on to my pressure washing.
It is on all my ads and signs…
But as far as buying a domain don’t know about that…

You can buy a domain from anyone you want and then you own it. Anyone can build your website and use that domain. Think of a domain as an address and a website more as a building. Your “building” can have multiple addresses.

1 Like

Ok thanks.

I just read through some threads on reddit about good places to buy domains. Namesilo was recommended several times as being a good choice, plus it’s cheap, and according to what i read, it includes some features for free that you have to pay for elsewhere. Guess that’s what i will use.

I choose to use WordPress. Website and domain was 35 dollars for the year. I’m able to build pages, and add some navigation but not to many bells and whistles. You can use squarespace for a more user friendly experience. There are a few do it yourself options.
Check out Hover.com for domain purchases.
Checkout my site for what WordPress can do. Www.LakemontPW.com

1 Like

All in all it doesn’t matter where you buy the domain. Just give the login information to the person building your site and they’ll take care of the rest. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

1 Like

Is it suppose to be a yearly fee? Mine was a 1 time $50 deal…

if you’re going to use Ambidextrous then just wait and let her get the domain for you.

You can buy the domain anywhere. Get for at least 3 years. It’s a pretty competitive market so prices usually not that much different. Be careful, because they all try to sell you upgrades and a bunch of stuff you don’t need. You got 3 parts to a site. The domain name, the hosting ( that’s where it lives) and then the actual site. The domain name is the cheapest part. Hosting will run you anywhere from $5 - $10/ month.

2 Likes