Brand New in Little Rock

Hello All,

I’m trying to do this right. I’m meticulous about things, and I’m a believer in you get out what you put in. I’m in Little Rock and I’m seeing dirty roofs, everywhere, in neighborhoods that have money (maybe not for roof cleaning). I have a maximum budget of $10k. If you had to take on an employee, and start from scratch, knowing nothing - where would you devote - training, equipment, both? I would like to be prepped for Spring ‘18, and would like to take the initiative now where able. I plan on washing relatives/friends houses in the very early spring to dial in whatever equipment I’m unfamiliar with.

I’m open to PM and any feedback. Currently looking at the 5.5gpm 2500psi on Powerwashing.com because it seems to be the most versatile return on investment - though my assumption is probably naive - your input is appreciate

Furthermore, I will be towing behind a Tacoma which only have 3,500, so I’m kind of limited for weight.

Mike Z

1 Like

I really appreciate a reliable toyota tacoma although for some reason I feel like I’m always doing work for a current or former GM employee. Actually yesterday my client was one!

1 Like

You only have 10 k and your new??? You should not be worrying about an employee right now. You don’t have the experience or money to educate people or to advertise roof cleaning. Start off with PW and grow from there…

1 Like

5.5 2500 is a good pressure washer for residential. Cant do roofs with it. You can get a roof setup for less than $1000, though. Just start searching and reading. Couple weeks of research and you will know all the basics, there is a ton of info online.

3 Likes

Tire shark,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I spoke with a representative from Powerwash.com that recommended I use an X-Jet with the 5525 for roof application.

Could you share some more insight on why the unit won’t work so I can change direction? (Downstreaming capability, gpm capability, etc)

Or, am I just wasting my money with that?

Start off with General power washing? I don’t know what PW means in reference to that.

Is $10k not sufficient start up for equipment?

Find a company that gives good advice like pressuretek to purchase from. No xjetting roofs.

Yes power washing.

The guy from power wash store is recommending xjet on roofs?

Who knew??? Lol

1 Like

That’s Hinderlighter’s store. Nothing surprises me there.

1 Like

And I’m out

4 Likes

@Innocentbystander OK, I will take that advice and speak with Pressuretek on Monday. Is there any training for roof cleaning offered anywhere, hands on, that is worth the time?

@Sharpe Dang, tough crowd on the PW. I guess what I’m gathering from this is start “PW” because the skill level of roof is reserved for the more experienced? And yes, the recommendation for roof soft wash was to augment the 5525 with an x-jet did adequate downstreaming application.

5.5 gpm and wash some houses. @tireshark is correct. Roof set up is cheap but more risk, espcially starting off.

Ok, that is good advice. Kind of throws a damper in the whole plan though, might need to go back to the drawing board on this one…

Is there any form of official training for roof wash to minimize the risk?

Its more than skill level it is marketing a product to people who don’t know what roof washing is, which can get expensive, then you have to educate them. Then you have to get an employee, more costs more time more training… Walk before you crawl. Invest 10 grand into PW and marketing you should get a return soon. Start with roofs … Probably not.

1 Like

Bingo…

Ok, this is all really good. I’m not one to argue with the professionals. My initial question was, “what should I do?”, and you have all given quick advice on that.

I think marketing would be the only thing I have a head start on, but it would seem I need to start marketing PW houses first.

Do you guys find that door hangars are effective?

Any other suggestions?

I did door hangers and knocking doors when i started and was still doing residential. It works

3 Likes

The Goodyear blimp is better. The whole town can see it…

2 Likes