Backing out of a job

Just finished giving a quote on a fence staining. Without going into details, suffice it to say this particular lady isn’t someone I want to work for. My gut tells me she’s the type that will find something to gripe about and head straight to Facebook. The problem is, this didn’t sink in until after I had given her a price estimate and an availability date.

So, I’m supposed to send her a formal estimate via email and she also requested a list of recent addresses we had done so she could go by and see them to see our work. How would you handle backing out of this? I don’t want to simply not get back to her, as that could equally hurt my reputation. But, this isn’t a job I want to do.

I would just politely retract my quote…

You don’t owe her an explanation for why…just a “Sorry, I will not be able do your fence”…is sufficient.

I don’t work for people that I don’t want to work for…

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good point. I initially emailed her and told her that I would like to ask my previous clients’ permission to give out their address, simply out of respect to them. I’m hoping that will turn her off to us. That and, I didn’t feel comfortable just giving out a list of addresses of our previous clients.

Id just say problems have come up and i cannot do your job…
end cya don’t wanna bya

Have you tried smiling politely and walking backwards saying “beep… beep… beep”

2 Likes

I generally throw a ridiculous price at them, if they take it it’s worth it if not, no worries. It doesn’t always work. I go two jobs this week, one I bumped 700.00…they took it.