Anyone else think this should be a thing?

I bring this topic up after reading the thread by Paul_Kelly, which I am glad to hear he is ok. I was speaking to a friend of mine who is genera liability lawyer. He was telling me how most his cases are from people falling off single story homes. He said most the time people weren’t wearing harness because the hassle of a mounting point, especially on tile here in Florida. We were taking about how it should mandatory when a home is built to have a mounting point installed on the home. That way if a contractor ever has to get on the roof it is easy to mount a harness. Perhaps this would decrease the number of people getting injured. Do you guys think a law like this could ever be passed? Or do some people see it as pointless…Interested to know other opinions on this.

1 Like

I think we are litigated/taxed/enforced to death as it is.

6 Likes

BINGO!

We don’t need the government to require anything more from us.

This nanny crap is ridiculous.

Take responsibility for YOURSELF.

2 Likes

Great point

This stamp goes on every tax payment I’ve sent in the last 3 years… that’s as political as I’ll get here.

2 Likes

Without taxation, we wouldn’t have craploads of the things that we use on a daily basis. Police, roads, firemen, schools, etc… I’ll never understand that argument.

But I see no problem with a pre installed mounting point being a mandatory thing. Not that big of a deal, not a big financial burden (that can’t be passed off to the consumer,) and it could save lots of hospital bills.

I don’t think I’ll ever align with a political party. They all have valid points and points that make less sense than a broken change machine. However, I would say I’m more conservative. I’m just more concerned about the welfare of others than Republicans. Again, no party affiliation.

That’s one thing that is wrong with the world today. Make a law for this, make a law for that. I understand ppl wanna be safe but come on really? The government already has more say so over ur life than u do urself. I’m all about being safe but all against coming up with some law that makes me add something to my roof for ppl to tie to.

Why should the government mandate things that intelligent people should provide for themselves?

The majority of people know that falling off a roof is dangerous. Why is it not their responsibility to use the proper gear to prevent that from happening…or else, stay off the roof. If you are going to make a living up there…be a PROFESSIONAL and have all of the equipment you need. Don’ t be wimp and expect the government to mandate that others provide the things that are your responsibility.

Honestly, the spoon fed wimps are running and ruining this country.

Seemingly, no one is capable of looking after themselves.

.[quote ]
Without taxation, we wouldn’t have craploads of the things that we use on a daily basis. Police, roads, firemen, schools, etc… I’ll never understand that argument.

But I see no problem with a pre installed mounting point being a mandatory thing. Not that big of a deal, not a big financial burden (that can’t be passed off to the consumer,) and it could save lots of hospital bills.

I don’t think I’ll ever align with a political party. They all have valid points and points that make less sense than a broken change machine. However, I would say I’m more conservative. I’m just more concerned about the welfare of others than Republicans.
[/quote]

Yeah…you are one of those big government conservatives…in other words…a liberal.

You love you some big brother…

You love being taxed on everything and letting the government piss your money away buying votes…and then claim that it is all going for the public good.

You may not understand my disdain for an oppressive government…but I don’t understand your being clueless, either.

Jim is probably hyperventilating from excitement right now, because he finally gets a chance to let everyone here know how dumb they are if they dont agree with his political views.

snore

1 Like

tireshark…we live in country that is running a TRILLION dollar a year deficit…it does not take a rocket scientist to understand that the trend of the last 3 decades of government being everything to everyone is misguided and unsustainable. And, this TRILLION dollars a year is not being spent on policemen, firemen, roads and schools.

Now, if you cannot grasp that…well, just carry on in your blissful state…and rest assured that there will come a time that you will understand.

This country does not have a problem of too little tax being paid…we have a spending problem. And, to add insult to injury, there is a never ending push to continue to add entitlements of one form or another that would be put in place for the sole purpose of buying votes.

Just for kicks, try running YOUR business and personal finance following the government model…and let us know how that works out for you. And, if it will not work for you, why would you think we should support our government operating in that manner?

Whew. For a few seconds, i thought you were going to pass up an opportunity to tell me how dumb i am.

It isn’t about not being able to grasp that information, it’s that if you really want to educate people on something you feel strongly about, there is an effective and ineffective way to go about doing so. Guess which one you are doing.

3 Likes

I’m slightly confused why this aggregates you so much. I personally don’t get how this specific law would have a begative impact.

Don’t get me wrong, I think there are too many laws in the wrong places, you are right on that.

However this law in particular seems pretty harmless. It would just make things more convenient for us and other contractors. Are you opposed to saving time?

If this law didn’t effect your taxes in any way shape or form would you still be against it? The law would simply state that a mounting point should be installed by the roofing contractor on all newly constructed homes. No where would it state that old homes must have one installed or that a pressure washing contractor must install one.

1 Like

Nothing is free. A few hundred bucks passed to the buyer. Who knows the price on metal roofs. Unsightly anchor points on houses. I’m still ticked at seat belt laws. Not the responsibility of the gov to protect us from ourselves,provide education to our children, insure us etc. Private fire protection and code enforcement would be infinitely less costly than what our taxes currently provide

2 Likes

I’m glad I tapped out early on this one.

2 Likes

Contraire. You may tagged in.

This is hard to argue with

Road’s were built before the government started taxing for it… Our road’s in Louisiana are garbage, our city water pipes are garbage same for sewage pipe’s, Insurance, Health Care. Anything the government touche’s turns to absolute crap. We also had volunteer firefighter’s. school’s, etc before they were paid by tax.

Jesus Christ, seeing people scream LIBERAL LIBERAL LIBERAL every time someone doesn’t agree with their political views is one of the most annoying things to see. Emptied the crap out of my Facebook in the past year. It’s just the new buzzword that caught on and is getting spewed out by the truckload. I am, in fact, not a “liberal,” however much you want me to be. Didn’t read your rant, sorry. Just the first sentence.

1 Like

I work in a refinery. we have 100% tie off rules. People still manage to fall. You cant write enough safety rules to win over stupidity and you cant force people to be safe all the time. Mandating this will only help those who choose to help themselves. THOSE people wont need this anyway. Also, some will fall trying to get to the tie off point. Then what? Multiple tie off anchors?