Anybody wanna give me a run down on their roof cleaning procedures

In the last few years roof cleaning hasnt been too high in demand in our area but we do them from time to time. In the past weve always used a little heat (around 80*) while down streaming 12% SH/water mix 3:2, let sit for a couple minutes then thouroughly rinsed the roof the room again with low pressure/low heat combo. We’ve always had a good experience getting those black roof marks off without much hassle. However, i would like to know how everybody else is doing it as we have had a few jobs that removing algae was a little tricky. Maybe theres a better proceedure?

1 Like

If you use the search function and use the term roof cleaning, you’ll have enough reading for days and can learn everything you need to know. This is asked all the time.

To give you a quick idea… we use a dedicated roof system consisting of a low pressure pump that allows for a strong mixture of SH and soap to be applied. We apply it to the roof and then walk away. Rain will do the rest of the work.

yeah sorry i tried using the search function but could not find much. Mostly only found questions like mine… You guys have never seen any issues such as staining or shingle discoloration with leaving the SH/Soap on there to sit for such a long time? we’ve never had an issue however we have never left it on there for very long

I understand man. There is a lot of info to weed through.
No leaving it on allows for a good deep clean and they come out looking new. You’ve gotta be careful with your runoff and gutter drains because it’s such a strong mixture, it’ll kill plants and stuff. Bag the gutter downspouts and water everything down really well and things will be okay.

understood. as far as bagging the gutter drains and waiting for it to rain, wouldnt that just cause the gutters to over flow all over the plant life on the ground anyway? lol. I supposed you probably take a trip back the next day and unplug the drains and water down the plant life?

Bag the gutters and catch the runoff as you’re applying the mix to catch the bulk if it. Then remove it. As it sits on the roof and breaks down, it’ll rinse off as basically salt water.

gotcha! thanks for clarifying i appreciate it. Maybe ill give it a shot at letting it sit on the next house

Keep in mind, this method is with applying a very strong mixture, one not capable downstreaming through a washer.

straight 12.5% SH/soap mix i would assume… i suppose ill be buying a roof pump if the roof services pick up!

The next roof you book, just schedule it a week out and order the pump in a box kit from Bob. Then you’lre golden.

Straight bleach downstreaminng still isn’t strong enough. With my roof pump I generally do 40% SH to 60% water.

You have actually had results from downstreaming a roof? That’s incredible.

Mr.FixIt has told you right.12.5 SH, 24 gallons in 60 gallon tank, rest water and surfactant. Apply to roof, don’t rinse. You’ll see results before you leave the house but the most impressive part comes from leaving the solution on the roof and letting the rain do the rest.

Yes we have had good results with downstreaming roofs! i believe it may have something to do with the heat used to apply/rinse/repeat.

what if it isnt going to rain for a few days?