Am I right on this?

I’m branching into fence restoration - I currently have 5 clients who have expressed interest in a clean/re-stain.

I’m trying to understand the best way to go about this:

Non-sealed wood process:
F-10 Percarbonate cleaner from Pressure Tek mixed appropriately (and maybe an ounce of roof snot to help it hold) and applied at low pressure
Dwell time - 8ish minutes?
Rinse with F-8 from Pressure Tek, mixed appropriately
Rinse with water
Let dry
Apply Stain/Sealer

Sealed wood process
F-18 Max stripper from Pressure Tek (roof snot added?) to strip off old sealer
F-10 Percarbonate cleaner from Pressure Tek mixed appropriately (and maybe an ounce of roof snot to help it hold) and applied at low pressure
Dwell time - 8ish minutes?
Rinse with F-8 from Pressure Tek, mixed appropriately
Rinse with water
Let dry
Apply Stain/Sealer

Anyone with experience agree or disagree with this?

NO - Go back reading, you’re nowhere close. Left some steps out

1 Like

Hmph. I’ve read almost every wood restoration article on this site. I guess something isn’t clicking.

I’m assuming you don’t want to take the time to help show me what I’m missing?

I’ll try to post something to you later tonight. Buried at the moment. Just realize every single one is different.

This article seems to explain things where I can really understand it:

Man… and @racer says you missed steps. This looks like chinese to me. Wood restoration gives me nightmares. I clean stuff and subcontract stuff like wood restoration to the racers of the world.

I won’t even wash the dirt off a deck unless it’s been sealed within the last 2 years or in great shape. I just tell them it’s too dangerous for me to pressure wash and I’m not some kind of wizard. And fences… unless it’s vinyl it’s not in my purview anymore.

Siding, concrete, and windows is all I’m good for apparently.

Get good at this, move to KC and I’ll sub you out a bunch.

I had an unfortunate situation come up that is going to keep me away from doing houses. It’s ok though, because I’ve been a woodworker for years, so getting into fence/deck restoration sounds fun to me. I thought having experience building with wood would help with the learning curve, but it hasn’t.

I’m used to running wood through a planer or drum sander to clean it up, not spraying it with chemicals!

1 Like

Josh, it’s late and I’m buried next few days, but after looking at that article you posted, that’s like some bs you’d see in southern Living.

Here are 2 older posts. Read thru them completely. I put some good info in the first one if you read down. Copy and save it.

Here’s another good link where Tireshark did some good homework that was just posted less than a month ago. What everyone should do.

Also go here and read - this is Rick Petry’s site and all he does is wood restoration and he’s been kind enough to help me out a few times. He’s an old time member here. http://www.windsorwoodcare.com/index.html

Also, the little search button to the left of your name is a wealth of info.

Read thru all of the above and we’ll talk Sunday nite. Just remember, don’t be lazy with wood and based on your background doubt you are. Most guys just try to take the easiest way out but I’m a firm believer that you should never use stronger or more of chemicals and/or pressure than what’s necessary. You got to learn your chemicals. Study that PH chart

4 Likes

Thanks Racer! I’ve read that fence panel test thread several times. I’ll re-read and check back over the weekend.

Also go here. Shane is a friend and he does great work. Does mostly cedar tho
Has like 60 videos https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Shane+Brasseaux

If it’s a cedar fence clean it with a house wash mixture. The grey will disappear in 5 seconds! Then let it dry for a few days until the moisture content is under 18% (moisture meter form Home Depot) and they apply stain. We use a quality paint sprayer and Wood Defender stain made just outside of Dallas. IF you really want to learn about wood staining they have a free one day school. Just a thought.