A question about the effectiveness of print ads in newspapers

Has-or does-anyone here have luck with newspaper print ads? If so, how much do you pay for them, what size did you run (I’m going to probably go with business-card size or thereabouts) how long did they take to get you your first job, how many jobs does it get you now, what’s the circulation of that paper and how many days a week is it run? What is the population of the city/area the paper covers?

Also, if you’ve advertised in a free weekly versus a daily paper, feel free to expound on the up and down sides of such papers. My city, Charlotte, has a free weekly with a respectable readership, though it’s mostly arts and entertainment oriented. No problem with that though, they have a lot of professional advertising in it. Thanks!

I have advertised in one of my local newspapers when i went full time into this business (2014). It has been one of the most life changing experiences ever. I payed $615 for a 1x1 ad on the classified section. The first or second day of the first run i started getting calls. My total volume for that month was around $4000 (June), July was $4500+, and August was over $5000. I live around the Vancouver area and this ad went out to about 180,000+ homes in 5 different neighboring cities so that is something that must be considered. Its just like Direct Marketing or infact ANY marketing. Its about getting it infront of as many people as you can and then expect a 1-3% return.

This year i mainly focused on craiglist (budget restrictions as i was recovering on a water ban the year before) and i will say the clients i get from the newspapers are of better quality than craigslist ones.

Im dying to try direct mail as theres lots of wealthy people living here.

I advertise in my local newspaper every week for 3 months on and than 3 months off, I believe it covers its cost just… But i keep on doing to build the brand in the local area and as long as it covers its cost ill keep on doing it. i believe you will make more money out of door hangers and ad words but newspaper is still viable to build your brand.

Best of luck
Troy
Wash Rite NZ
www.washrite.co.nz

Bringing this thread back to life. I just paid $89 to have an add run for 28 days in a large city near me. Price was great! How many people on here see a good ROI from newspaper adds? Peoria%20Journal%20star%20add

2 Likes

It seems that it is false economy to eliminate an advertising source that generated a large increase in your business.

1 Like

Today is the first day of my print add and I’m not a millionaire yet…

3 Likes

4 landscapers and no pressure washers… buisness must be good!!!

3 Likes

Way more than that lol just 4 in the picture

2 Likes

mine cost $110 a month, on my 3rd year… Now this year Its been in 2 mos and NO CALLS…
I used to get 1 to 3 ever month this year just not good so far,

1 Like

Do you have any competition in the paper with you? Is your market small or is the market in the area hurting?

I had an add in a local print all last year and didnt get a single call was about 20-50k homes a month it ran a paper only spring to fall. That paper actually dont run anymore but I have gotten 4 jobs from last years paper this year already. Results are not always immediate its more about being seen and brand awareness.

Those 4 jobs paid for my run last year plus some btw.

1 Like

I paid $800 to test an ad in a local magazine. The ad isn’t the proof I approved. And I’m on a page with safe spaces. But the ad came out a couple days ago and I’ve already landed a job out of the deal. Website request this morning, estimate at 4:30, scheduled a job for last week in May. Pretty good turnaround I think. I need one more job to make money on it though.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thinking about giving this a shot… Tried calling five different companies yesterday to see if they could service a house that I could no longer do. Only two other companies in Ottawa that do house washing. City has 2 million people so maybe a newspaper add will work wonders. Really like your ad by the way.

I have almost entirely built my business on print advertising in a local home improvement magazine. It costs about 700.00 per month so one good job is BE. I have 24 contracted jobs I am working through and need to bid 4 more this week. In the past month I gave a friend almost 5K in work because they needed it done right away. It must work.

Which magazine? I’m about to try clippers

Gladstone Magazine. It’s a local magazine.

I got my first call from the print. Just as I suspected a 75 year old female that doesn’t have Facebook or use the internet for searching. This was the market I was missing on facebooks adds. 95% of my calls from Facebook were female over the age of 55. I kinda figured I was missing the older generation.

3 Likes

Bring this thread back to life for guys not gettin full loads of calls. I am still running the above ad pictured and it’s getting me 20 calls a month. It’s dling so well I decided to run a large ad in the local paper. It was $140 for the 1 time but it stands out. Newspaper ads seem to be where it’s at right now.

2 Likes

I think I saw one of those in a museum once!

4 Likes