3100 psi, 2.5 GPM crawling before i walk

And advice would be greatly appreciated. I know my 3100psi and 2.5 gpm PowerHorse washer isnt quite commercial grade but I am planning to use it to wash residential homes,driveways, patios and decks.

I have been trying to discover if theres a way for me to “softwash” without my unit putting out at least 4gpm? I do realize that soap can be applied at a low pressure using the black nozzle but how do i make sure I can soap an entire home and rinse as well effect? Any advice would be awesome. FYI I am trying to upgrade my washer as soon as I can afford.

1 Like

I would say 4gpm would be minimum to be effective

I’m no expert by any means but gpm is more important than psi …2.5 gpm I don’t think is going to cut it for soft washing …like @FathomPW said 4gpm is minimum…you get more flow from a garden hose than 2.5 …

Bryon_Williams this is not meant to offend so do not take it
this way. Showing up at a paying customer home with a 2,5
gpm washer screams “hack” and does nothing but give the
industry another black eye. Seriously consider holding off on
starting your business until you get a minimum 4 gpm washer
preferably 5 or 5.5 if you can swing it. My best suggestion is
to read, read, and read some more on the forum until you can
afford a bigger washer. Best of luck in your new venture!

1 Like

Hey guys I really appreciate the feedback. I guess there are some that
would scream hack when they see my little machine but thats okay. Very much
in a hustler mode and I have been reading and reading. I cannkt simply sit
back and wait til i Have the money to buy a better unit Im Actually going
to take whatever scraps I can get so I can invest.

Thanks a ton Bill. Im not so sure it will be impossible or not able to be
done. If you can disregard HOW ILL LOOK WASHING and remember that the
project is the most important. Im sure I can wash a home with this smaller
unit so I really jist need to know which tips specifically can help me
shoot soap higher/rinse effectively. I KNOW this isnt ideal but jts
possible.

Ive heard about buying a telescoping wand or a 12v machine but any advice
just as you guys have provided me is well taken in. Thanks a ton. Trying to
finesse until Im able to upgrade by no means do I plan on putting out crap
work.

This is what I keep hearing from researching but Im sure theres a way for me to decently clean houses and driveways with this unit. I do realize hot water is a necessity as well but again I am just not there financially to upgrade.

I would honestly suggest searching Craigslist for a used 4gpm machine.

Ok, I’ll share a rather embarrassing story here, hopefully as a lesson to others in this situation:

Until last spring, I was renting a 3.5gpm machine from the rental place across the street from me. My power washing jobs were so few and far between, (and I was so busy washing windows) that this seemed workable, and I’d just save up for a really good unit over time.

First job of last year, I call the rental place the day before the job is scheduled, and ‘my’ machine isn’t available. They’ve rented it out. So I call another rental place, and they tell me they’ve got a 3.5gpm unit. Ok, great.

I pick it up, and it turns out to be a 2.5. Oh, well. I go to the job, which is a little 1,500sqft single story house, plus a tiny shed. Washing that home was torture, and I felt so awkward. I was just grateful that it wasn’t a bigger job.

I finished the job, went home, talked to my wife, and after some careful consideration put in an order for a real machine. Maxed out a credit card to do it. The card was paid off in a couple months.

Moral of the story: if you’re serious about this as a business, don’t be so risk averse that you slit your own throat by using improper equipment.

I personally hate debt. And credit cards are straight from the devil himself, lol. But in some circumstances, they’re worth it.

9 Likes

A quality machine will pay for itself in two weeks easy…

1 Like

You are right. Investing as soon as I can thanks guys. In the meantime ill
do what I have to do.

1 Like

I’ve never done it, but i’ve seen several softwash guys say they use a 12V pump to apply chems, and a garden hose to rinse, if customers water pressure is normal. 12V pumps are only a couple hundred dollars.

It’s definitely not ideal for speed and efficiency but I know where you’re coming from. Everybody has to start somewhere. Just stack up every dime you can and go get at least a 4 gpm unit next. You can find a good one with a Honda gx engine for 1500 or so. With the 2.5 gpm I would try to stay with only 1 story houses unless you want to be on ladders all day. Once you move up to 4 gpm + you’ll be able to soft wash 2 story houses from the ground.

Bryon, You’ve got a couple of options - you can get a softwash system for around 200. Will come in handy for a lot of things including roof cleaning. But tons of people use for house washing. I use a Delavan FB but the northstar pumps are good too, buy the extended warranty. sometimes you can find these cheaper with one of their kits like for an ATV which will include tank and switch also. See 2nd link
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578549_200578549
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578564_200578564
These pumps will shoot about 30’. Just get a wagon to drag it around on.

Your 2nd option is get an xjet system for your unit - http://www.xteriorsales.com/index.php/xjet/48.html You can find cheaper from other places - I’d get one size bigger so you can use when you upgrade your machine. Make sure you get the M5 adjustable nozzle. You can make either of these work find for cleaning houses.

Good luck

3 Likes

Byron. Another option for you is this. All I use 90% of the time. Get the middle size 3-7. I use with both my 4 and 8.5 machine. Call Russ at Southside Equipment. Has the best price on - around $60.
http://www.xteriorsales.com/index.php/90.html

2 Likes

I am trying to figure out these productsso I can understand them better and know if Im able to ADD them as attachables to my unit or as you mentioned, Racer, get myself a small wagon/rig to wheel it around; xjet, jrod, and the M5DS nozzle/kit.

I am not certain and dont want to sound greener than I am when Im trying to order and explain the differences in these products. Which of these would you recommend me using in addition to my 3100psi, 2.5gpm Powerhorse? My focus would be to clean any home thoroughly, and I have read that softwashing is the way to go. I have also learned having a minimum of 4gpm and hot water are the way to go so in a sense Im looking to put together the best set up I am able until I can upgrade. Thanks in advance very happy to have found this community.

Wagon only if you go with the whole tank kit from northern. Post a pic of what all you have now. Will make easier. Do you have at least 50’ of pw hose? Do you have a ds injector?

Yes the machine does have a ds injector and it came with a 30 ft pw hose. I have an additional 25 ft hose.

Hot water really isn’t necessary for house washing. It’s invaluable for commercial flatwork, though.

Everyone has different comfort levels and preferences in how they run their business (as well as differing financial circumstances). I’m not trying to knock your approach, but… here goes, lol…

Personally, if I had to choose between using a 2.5gpm machine until I had the funds for a bigger one, or renting one in the 3.5-4gpm range, I would opt to rent as needed (as inconvenient and expensive as that may sound). If I had a 2.5 unit sitting in my garage, I would sell it on CraigsList and use the money for chemicals, a downstream injector and jrod with softwash nozzles, and rental fees. I would then save 50% (or as much as I could possibly afford) of every job I did with the rental unit until I could buy a nice machine. Just saying… :smirk:

All I OWN thus far in addition to what ive submitted below/above.

Well appreciated thank you Alex, Its going to get done someway ha. Ive thought of renting but seems like it be more money overall that way im just glad that this is temporary!