3.5 to 8 GPM - Commercial flatwork cleaning speed increase?

Hey Everyone,

Currently with my 3.5 GPM machine I can clean about 3000 sq ft per hour of commercial sidewalks by myself. I’m looking at purchasing an 8 GPM machine, can anyone who has done a similar upgrade tell me what type of square footage per hour increase I might see with the higher GPM machine? Did your productivity double?

I did search, I know that 8 GPM is vastly superior to 3.5 GPM, but I couldn’t find an answer to this specific question. Any information about YOUR experience with such an upgrade would be helpful for planning purposes.

Thank you!

What size surface cleaner you pushing? I might add, if you’re doing 3000 sq ft an hour with what you’ve got you’re the fastest concrete cleaner in the country or you’re not cleaning very dirty concrete. At even a price of .12/ft which is a little low that $360/hour. Why bother with an 8? LOL

4 Likes

Hey,

The surface cleaner I use is 22" with 25° tips. I am certainly not that fastest cleaner in the country! My example was referencing concrete that is not very dirty in a wide open area. I do have to slow down quite a bit when it is dirty.

I guess my example of square footage aside, I’m just looking for other peoples experiences… It was X sq ft with a smaller machine and now it’s Y. I’m just looking to get a baseline.

The difference between my 4 gpm and 8.5 gpm I’d say with the 8 about 60-70% better(quicker). I don’t think it’s double, but definitely quicker.

Awesome, thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

With 8 gpm you can jump up to 30" surface cleaner, that’s what I have and it’s great!

What do you recommend for 4gpm? How many inches per gpm?

The rule of thumb is 4" per 1gpm so 4gpm would be 16". You can cheat a little bit by changing the size of your nozzles.

I run 16 and 19 inch surface cleaners with my 8 gpms. I also don’t do garages or a lot of flatwork. Just breezeways

Ok cool. I have a 16 inch for my 4gpm

Hello, what do you charge per breezeway. Thanks.

Wow. You gotta be kidding me

1 Like

I don’t think @Innocentbystander likes to give his prices. I have no problem sharing my pricing. I use the uniform motion theory for breezeways, which is D=RT or distance equals rate/time. I think IBS uses the Pythagorean theorem, but he doesn’t like to share that info on the web. Sorry IB…

Thanks. That sounds about what I have figured. Just seeking information from others in the industry.

1 Like

Pi are not square

2 Likes

Cornbread are square.

Not in a cast iron skillet :slight_smile:

Cornbread in a cast iron skillet? What are we in the “Deliverance” movie now? Is the banjo kid nearby?

There is a hand sticking out of the water. That’s what mom and my wife cook cornbread in.

2 Likes

Funny thing is I have lived in Kentucky for 16 years and I just can’t adapt to the hillbilly ways. Don’t get me wrong, I love these Kentuckians, I love their southern charm, their hospitality, their fried food, their porch swings and lemonade/tea, I love these humble God fearing, salt of the Earth people, but I still feel like a stranger in a strange land…