24 years old starting my first buisness

I’m 24 years old I have saved up enough money to invest full time into a pressure washing gig . But I want to do it the right way. I will be recieving in the mail a pressure washer by water cannon 4gpm at 4400 psi . A few weeks ago I bought a 6x8 foot trailer. Rome wasn’t built in a week I understand I may not make a killing starting out. But all I have is time . Some of extra guidance and some tips would be awesome because clearly I’m wet behind the ears .

Understand that the washing is easy. The sales, managing the business, planning for slow times, is the tough part.

Don’t sell your services too cheap, instead, work on self improvement and sales skills so that you can deliver full value without working too cheap.

Welcome to the PWRA, we’re glad you’re here.

1 Like

I have worked as a district manager with personable sales so I do have experience in that . Right now I’m working on trying to figure out what licenses I need for my area

If you live in an area that requires licenses start fighting now to have them done away with. After years of fighting and lobbying we finally got NC to do away with business licenses. Some businesses are still required to have separate licenses for pest control, security services etc but little steps are being made. Ok, off my soap box. Welcome aboard and good luck.

1 Like

I’m right there with you my friend. I’m 23 and officially opened my doors about two months ago here in Tucson, Az (Tucson Pressure Pros). I’d say 80% of the info and know how I have is from reading, reading, and reading some more on this forum. Take the recommendations of the guys here, their input is invaluable to say to the least. I did NOT take everyone’s advice in regards to having a website day one and I kick myself everyday for not doing it. Needless to say I’ve got a couple more jobs this month and I will be having the website process started Nov 1.

Welcome to the PWRA and good luck!

What worked for me in the beginning was local community news papers and word of mouth. Buy a business card size ad and start building your reputation. Also, if you show up on time, call people back and are honest and friendly you will do great. There is a lot to learn in this business. I started in this at age 19, did it through college and after graduation and looking at “real jobs” I realized the money potential is more than any degree, along with the freedom.

Im 28 and still dunno what I’m doing. I heard that ‘wisdom comes with age’ but that’s a lie lolz

1 Like

Huh. I always pictured you as mid 30’s. :thinking:

And same here (28). I’m still not really sure what it’s supposed to feel like to be a “grownup” :smirk:

1 Like

You just hurt more

3 Likes

Dude you should see my Z shaped spine X-rays and my curvy legs and wonky hips.

I hit old age in my mid 14’s

I know hurts already

Strange I’ve been looking up to you as the mature one

I’m going go practice my childishness

What are you going to do, bleed on me?

3 Likes

No but my limbs might fall off. All in one go. Like the cartoons :upside_down_face:

In all seriousness, nope not even going there. I’m still sticking Monty Python :slight_smile:

No, but unlike the black knight, he might hurl on you! LOL

1 Like

I could clean it up if I had something leafy. Bring me a shrubbery.

1 Like

You came to the right place I’ve been doing it 7 months I think flyers door to door is the best way I think I’ve got 85% of my jobs that way but don’t be discouraged it takes a few months to get going

A good (pro quality), high ranking website should be priority one as far as marketing goes. Get your website up and running ASAP so that you’re not trying to play catch-up in the spring.

1 Like

Pricing… My 1st 90 days, I was charging far too little and working way too hard. The first time I quoted a job for $399 instead of $250, which is what I was going to quote it at, and they didn’t tell me no I decided I’d rather have 1 or 2 customers each week say yes to $300-$600 jobs than 5 or 6 at $99-$200.

Now, we’re consistently closing $400 to $1200/day and we’re not bidding everything coming our way. The $1200 days are less frequent than the $400 days, but $600 is typical.

Everyone has their own thoughts on marketing. I pay for an “average” website at $30/month maybe even a below average website.

90% of my business early came from the free Facebook local swap and shop pages. Currently, HomeAdvisor provides 1 to 3 leads per day at $15-25/lead, we price it in, and win around 70% of those leads.

Avoid Thumbtack. It’s cheap, but you get what you pay for. It just so happens that what you pay for is to complete with some uninsured guy who undercuts you sometimes as much as 60%.

I spent less than $10 on a logo at Fiverr.com and $50 on door hangers at VistaPrint. I know I said you get what you pay for, but this $60 was among the best money I’ve spent.

1 Like

I sasy go ahead and get a simple website up evem if its not completed so your domain can start getting some age on it

Pressure Washing Clearwater