20+ years of black algae

Anyone tackled a roof with this many years of build up. If so any pointers tackling it. i would really appreciate the help.

1 Like

Got any pics?

You can see in this one what the roof should look like.

posted some photos, thanks for any help in advance.

What kind of process and equipment are you currently using?

If I sent this twice sorry

50/50 SH by 12v pump
2700 psi - 3gpm rinse 2510 roof tip to rinse

Taking two applications to get it clean.

Wanted to know what others are using for roofs like this.
I really want to be able to wash from the ground or ladder and not get on the roofs. Not sure what I need to be able to do that.

If I sent this twice sorry

50/50 SH by 12v pump
2700 psi - 3gpm rinse 2510 roof tip to rinse

Taking two applications to get it clean.

Wanted to know what others are using for roofs like this.
I really want to be able to wash from the ground or ladder and not get on the roofs. Not sure what I need to be able to do that.

1 Like

try using a roof snot or cling on to help the SH to stick better. What’s your dwell time?

I tried 20+ min but could not tell a difference in 15 min and 20.
also tried dawn with it and then tried tide with it but it seemed to do better without anything.

15 min or it dries in this heat if left any longer which i also tried.

what seemed to do the best is coat and apply second coat before it dries then rinse.

So roof snot or cling will make that much difference.
Do you mind telling me where you get your products from.

I know one guy use a hot 6-8% SH mix to avoid having to treat multiple times. I also know others who rather do a weaker 3.5% mix but do two coats. You just have to figure out what works best for you. I prefer to walk any roof that i can, its quicker with less run off. Sometimes its safer to shoot from the gutter line but it will “run” faster. Roof snot, dragon grip, cling on will help with your mix from running down and i could tell a difference when i wasnt using any. I prefer Snotmade, as it smells a lot better.

If you dont want the mix to dry just mist it with water to re-activate it.

Use SH %12, Roof Snot and water mix. I would do 45% SH, 10% roof snot, and the rest water. Apply straight on and dont rinse. Give it 4 weeks and if its still there, do another.

I wouldn’t use more than 100psi with application or rinse (if you rinse)

I have tried to find 12.5 % but no luck so for. I have managed to find 10%.

Not sure i can sell the idea pay now and wait and see if it will go away.
I do understand what your saying and i agree just a hard sell here in my area when most have never even heard of washing a roof in the first place.

1 Like

Menards has 12% for $3/gallon. They call it pool shock. :slight_smile: Pool stores carry it too. A 55 gallon barrel breaks down to about the same cost per gallon the first time with barrel deposit, but will be less thereafter.
http://reco-chem.com/chemicals/rest-room-cleaners/bleach-12-5.html

3.99 but on sale for 3.59 but in store pickup only. 223 miles from me though.
none of the stores i called so for carry 12.5% but still looking.

Search local chemical companies and see if they can order sh for you or maybe search water treatment company

Where are you located? Do you have pools in your city? If so ask a pool cleaner where he gets​ his SH from.

Southeast Arkansas
the best anyone carries in my area is 10% and they don’t stock large amounts at all.
Lowe’s carries a little over 100 gallons of it and they only carry it at the start up of the season. Most customers use the tablets for their pools and don’t even know about the liquid type.
I’m in the middle of no where is the biggest problem. I’m sure i will find it, just going to take a little time hitting up a chemical company that is willing to work with me.

A#1 and only thing I will tell you (because if you read all of this forum you won’t have to ask xxxx questions) is wear a cartridge respirator designed for chlorine vapors. Otherwise, start working on your disability claim paperwork now. You will
BURN your lungs and require a double lung transplant.
…and in the words of the amazing and honorable Steven Segal, "trust me,it ain’t
Like it ain’t been done befo!